If you happen to be following along with the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle of eating, you may understand that sometimes after eating E (Energizing) meals, you might still feel hungry. We were wanting dessert last night, but nothing sounded good to us.
That's when someone piped up and said, "Apple Crisp! We could make a THM-style apple crisp!"
So, we did.
- 4 baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/8" or 1/16" slices (I used 1 Fuji apple and 3 Granny Smith apples)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. oat flour (I grind old-fashioned oats in a clean coffee grinder or blender; if you truly need this to be completely gluten-free, please use gluten-free oats)
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats (if you truly need this to be completely gluten-free, please use gluten-free oats)
- 1/4 cup Truvia or erythritol/stevia combination
- 4 tsp. butter, melted
- small squirt of nonfat Reddi-Whip or similar nonfat whipped cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together cinnamon, Truvia or erythritol/stevia combination, and salt. In a large bowl, toss sliced apples with cinnamon-sugar-salt mixture. Set aside.
Meanwhile, spray 8x8" metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray (I like using Spectrum's Coconut Oil Spray). If using a glass baking dish, reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees and bake for slightly less time.
Pour 1/4 cup water into the greased baking pan and spoon in the sliced apple mixture.
In a separate bowl, combine the old-fashioned oats, oat flour (grind 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. old-fashioned oats in your blender or coffee grinder to make your own oat flour), and 2 Tbsp. Truvia. Pour melted butter into the flour mixture and mix them together thoroughly. It should be crumbly.
Spread the crumble mixture out evenly on top of the layer of apples. Bake for 30-40 minutes until apples are soft and the crust has hardened and turned golden brown. For an added "crisp" to your topping, broil for 1 minute. (Don't let it burn!) Serve hot by itself or with nonfat whipped cream.
(E for Trim Healthy lifestyle)
Serves 5 to be within Trim Healthy "E" guidelines
Feel free to take a look at my Trim Healthy VISUAL SHOPPING LIST to get a better idea of some of the quicker food options available in your stores!
I don't know why anyone would want to make a tiny, 1-serving size of this recipe, because we love leftovers! (Heh, heh.) ☺ But if you live alone or for some odd reason just want to make enough for one person, one time, here you go! (As requested by a reader.)
You can divide the recipe by 4 to get a smaller quantity:
- 1 apple
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- tiny sprinkling of salt
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. + 1.5 tsp. homemade oat flour
- 1 Tbsp. old-fashioned oats
- 1 Tbsp. Truvia, erythritol/stevia, or xylitol
- 1 tsp. melted butter
- tiny amount of Reddi-Whip or your own sweetened yogurt topping